Friday, March 11, 2005

A Series of Unfortunate Events...and other such wanderings

Well, my poor Michael seems to have the worst luck. You all read about his food poisoning, then his car accident, and now he is sick. Last night I was out buying nearly every cold remedy known to man- cold medicine (both day and night formulas), throat drops, honey (for tea or a hot toddy), gingerale, and ice cream. Personally, I would have gone with popsicles, but Mike insisted he would take his chances with ice cream bars.

Now for the topic jumping, so be prepared...

I taught myself to make cables in knitting. It was fun. Took a few tries, but I finally got the hang of it.

I ending up dropping the workshop that kept getting changed on me so that I can freeze my butt off at the St. Patrick's Day Parade tomorrow. This will be my third year in Newport and I figured it would be more fun to see a parade than to learn about the effects of race, class, and ethnicity that I have already learned about in at least 3 other classes so far.

I can actually say that Facebook has had one positive impact on me so far: I have gotten back in touch with Sarah Holsinger. She used to live across the street from me back in the days of growing up. I actually used to baby-sit her, which is kinda funny now because we are only 3 years apart. It used to be more like just hanging out with a friend anyway, so it's great to get to know her all over again. She goes to Northwestern in Chicago and is majoring in Geology and minoring in Religion. Apparently she wants to go on for a Ph.D. and be the cool Geology professor one day. I think that's awesome.

A number of things have made me reconsider an environmental major or career. First off was my workshop that I had last semester: Environmental Issues in the 21st Century. Now this semester, my Biology class is entitled "Humans and Their Environment." And now being back in touch with Sarah and learning what she is doing has made me look for schools with environmental studies programs. I'm not going to drop out of Social Work after having made it this far, but I'm wondering if I could somehow combine the two? I don't know. I was always the geeky little kid, though, doing reports on the Three R's (reduce, reuse, recycle). I advocated for paper recycling in my elementary school. I bought "50 Things Kids Can Do to Save the Earth." I've been known to bug my parents on more than one occasion to make sure they were taking full advantage of our curbside recycling at home. I even started composting until my parents told me it was gross and it smelled too much. :( And after those fateful trips to Santa Fe back in 2001, I seriously considered becoming a park ranger. I used to be a member of the NPCA (National Parks Conservation Association). And just two days ago, I found a copy of the Sierra Club Magazine at the laundromat to read while I was waiting. I miss that part of me. I don't like having doubts about my life at this stage in the game. I know there are plenty of people who would say I was lucky to only be 25 and having doubts. It just sucks when two sides of yourself want two seemingly incompatible things: 1) settling down and having a family 2) continuing my education to really find the right place for me in this world.

Happy Trails...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home