Friday, August 19, 2005

Why?

I don't understand. How come I can cook, but I can't bake? I can make a meal no problem. I can even improvise without recipe or measuring, but when it comes to baking (I'm talking desserts here) I just can't do it. Not from scratch at least. I haven't ever messed up a mix (like a boxed Betty Crocker/Duncan Hines creation), but from scratch it never quite turns out right. They're always edible, but not really how they should be. I'm mainly talking cookies here I guess. My example right now is a batch of oatmeal cookies, recipe taken off the lid of my Quaker Oats. My family has been making this recipe for years and I love them. Light and crispy and delicious. I make them and they're chewy and more cake-like. I had a similar problem with my mom's sugar cookies she makes at Christmas. Again, light and crisp. So buttery they practically melt in your mouth. My version? Chewy! And it has nothing to do with cooking times because my cookies do achieve that nice golden brown. Any longer and I would be burning them. I know there are people out there who enjoy chewy cookies, but I am not one of them. I was raised on a crunchy cookie and that is what I like. How sad that I can only produce chewy ones. :(

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home